It is our goal to ensure that all students have the support that they need in order to thrive academically and make positive contributions to life at Ark Acton. Our Learning Support Department works closely with parents, teachers and the students themselves, to put together an individual support plan to help overcome any barriers to learning students may face on their journey towards adult life.
A young person has learning difficulties if they:
• have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age
• have a disability which prevents or hinders the child from making use of educational facilities of a kind provided for children of the same age within mainstream classes.
There are two levels of support which a student may receive: School Support or a support from a Statement or Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). Students’ personalised support plans include support in the form of:
• Invitation to attend extra-curricular clubs or intervention groups
• Targeted support from support teachers or Teaching Assistants in lessons
• Advice external professionals including Speech and Language Therapy Team, Autism Team and Occupational Therapy Team
• Support from an Educational Psychologist
• Exam Access Arrangements